How to use apple cider vinegar for hair loss
When it comes to hair loss treatments, people often think of either expensive surgeries like hair implant, or commercial treatment with shampoos and other products.
Very rarely do we put our trust in home remedies which are in fact cheaper, and safer too.
One such remedy is apple cider vinegar. And this is not a new kid on the block. Apple cider vinegar has been around for centuries.
It has been used for many health issues including:
- Digestion issues
- Weight loss
- Skin infections and warts
- Weak immune system
In fact, I startedÂ using apple cider vinegar for weight loss and for improvingÂ my digestion system. It helps cure acid reflux disease too.
I drink cider vinegar twice a day, after diluting a couple of teaspoons in a cup of water. It detoxes my body, improves digestion and I feel fresher.
“I gave up shampoo weeks ago and have taken to rinsing my hair in ACV to 2/3 water.Hair looks and feels healthy, manageable like never before. And it doesnt dry it out.” Angels (Ava’s mom) (Source: Amazon)
How to use cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is acidic – it contains 5% acidity. So you may want to dilute cider vinegar before using it on your hair, though I have heard from many people who use cider vinegar without diluting it.
Take a 500ml mug or jar. Fill it up half with warm water and half with cider vinegar. That’s your apple cider vinegar hair rinse. Fill it up in a bottle dispenser. I use a sprinkler bottle.
How to wash hair with apple cider vinegar
Now wash your hair with shampoo as you usually do. Shed excess water from hair. You may want to lightly dry up hair with towel, which is optional. Apply cider vinegar hair rinse. Work cider vinegar into the scalp. This is where it is needed the most. Leave it on for a couple of minutes and wash it off. Take care to avoid cider vinegar getting into your eyes. It many cause burning sensation.
If cider vinegar manages to make its way in your eyes, wash them off with cold water.
Here’s a variation to the process. Some people prefer to add a spoon of baking soda to the ACV hair rinse. This provides extra shine and also helps in cleaning up dandruff.
Why is ACV so effective in treating hair fall
- Cider vinegar is made from apples which is a rich source of potassium. This nutrient is important for healthy hair
- Cider vinegar also contains malic acid which is another ingredient for removing fungal as well as bacterial infections.
- The most important benefit of cider vinegar is its ability to balance pH factor of hair: Human hair should ideally have a pH factor of between 4 and 6. Cider vinegar has Shampooing typically increases pH factor. Human hair is acidic, with a pH factor of 4 to 6. Shampooing your hair regularly strips them off their acidity. Apple cider vinegar, with its pH factor of about 4, helps in restoring the pH balance of our hair.
- Cider vinegar makes hair smoother, and addresses the problem of split hair.
- Cider vinegar’s ability to remove chemicals from the scalp helps in solving the issue of scratchy scalp. Healthier scalp promotes new hair growth.
- Because of its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal property, apple cider vinegar can provide a good remedy for hair loss diseases like Alopecia.
Can I use white vinegar instead?
White vinegar used for cooking is different from apple cider vinegar.
So the answer is no – you shouldn’t use white vinegar if you wish to get healthy hair. Apple cider vinegar is specifically manufactured to contain ‘mother’ of vinegar – it is the muddy floating object that you will see in the bottle. This mother contains the nutrients and enzymes you need for it’s health value.
This is why it is important to choose the right apple cider vinegar from the market.
What you should be looking for is unpasteurized, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. If it is made from organic apples, even better. Organic apples are free from pesticides. The leading brand of organic cider vinegar is Bragg. Bragg source their organic apples mostly from within the United States and therefore are more confident about the quality of apples used in making cider vinegar.
Organic cider vinegar is worth the money you spend on it, considering how much money we spend on commercial products laden with chemicals. Also, apple cider vinegar is versatile and has many more uses – see the end of this article.
Some people prefer powder cider vinegar instead of liquid cider vinegar. I don’t know whether the powder cider vinegar is effective. I use liquid cider vinegar because I can see the ‘mother’ of vinegar in it.
Pick up the brand you like
- Which Brand of Apple Cider Vinegar to Buy
Bragg, VitaCost, Dynamic Health – which is the best brand for apple cider vinegar?
How cider vinegar helps in hair growth
Cider vinegar hair rinse is not known to have any adverse side effects. It is a natural product free of chemicals, and is good for your hair.
How To Stop Hair Loss
- 7 Clever Tricks To Thicken Your Hair
These easy-to-follow tips will help you reduce hair fall, and get shiny hair.
Should I use cider vinegar for hair?
Cider vinegar – a friend for your hair
- Makes hair shiny and smooth
- Prevents hair splits
- Removes harmful chemical deposit from the scalp
- Supplies important vitamins to the hair
Other Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar Diet
Apple cider vinegar is not just helpful for your hair but also for your overall health.
It helps in many ways:
- Blood sugar
- Immune system
- Acid reflux
- Skin health
- Weight loss
People have successfully used cider vinegar to treat acne and pimples.
Cider vinegar is also effective in shedding extra pounds and losing weight over a period of time. Weight loss benefits are achieved by increasing metabolism rate.
Have an ACV drink every day and keep doctor away.
Image source: Jessica Mullen
People Also Read:
- How to use apple cider vinegar for weight loss
Apple Cider Vinegar diet is a natural way to lose weight without side effects. It’s also a very easy to follow routine for weight loss. Get started with this guide for losing weight with Apple Cider.
- Read Before Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight …
This well-researched article answers questions about apple cider vinegar – How often to drink ACV? When to drink? What can I mix it with? Will I lose weight fast if I drank more cider vinegar?